Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Depression and what I find helpful for it

Note: I am not an expert but hopefully I can help with some knowledge simply from my own experience and research.

This is very personal to me as I have experienced this for the past few years.

First of all know that depression nor anxiety make you an abnormal or insane person. Its not a disease. It is a common occurrence among normal people. In fact, studies have shown that 1 in every 4 people, has or has had depression. Its a battle people face every day, every hour, every minute. Sometimes even the most basic, minuscule tasks are exhausting or overwhelming. Sometimes people question their own existence and don't want to get up in the morning out of fear of people, fear of the world, fear of failure or lack of motivation, lack of interest. The list goes on. Depression can have fear, anxiety, sadness and loneliness linked to it. There's more than just sadness in the depression equation.

Depression can be described in so many different ways. Furthermore, it varies in severity from person to person and it differs among the sexes as well. (This is one article by The Art of Manliness which offers really good insight on symptoms of male depression: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/03/24/leashing-the-black-dog-the-symptoms-of-depression/). I know my depression and that of young mother are very different. Some symptoms and patterns remain fairly the same, but really each person has their own case. This is not to say however, that you cannot identify or speak with someone who has depression. It is often very helpful and therapeutic to speak to someone with depression that you feel comfortable talking to about it.

Depression is not necessarily consistent

Depression is one of those things which can be difficult to describe. It comes and goes, its not necessarily the same every time. For me it comes in bouts of 2-3 days at a time and then its gone. Some people it lasts weeks, months or unfortunately in some cases, years. Every person's is different and not all coping mechanisms or therapies help for everyone. The following are signs that a person may be experiencing depression:

-profound sadness (sometimes there is no root, that's the key. It can come from nowhere)
-inability to concentrate
-extreme fatigue
-lack of interest in things you usually like to do
-insomnia (can't sleep or trouble getting back to sleep)
-hypersomnia (oversleeping)
-not eating properly
-binge eating
-random anger
-sudden mood swings
-suicidal thoughts or tendencies
-thoughts or speaking about death on a regular basis

Again, these may not all happen at once or it might just be one of them. Hopefully they don't all happen at once. And of course, some of these are very serious and should be dealt with immediately.

Ways I cope and maybe you can too and other ideas

I cope differently every time I experience depression. Sometimes I exercise, I write down my feelings, I listen to music, I sing (I'm in choirs for this very reason actually), I pray, I take a nap, I watch a stupid video on youtube. These are some things I do. I find the arts very therapeutic and they bring me out of myself, which is always a good thing if you're feeling lonely. (I happen to be a theatre major so its convenient for me). I would not recommend eating as a coping mechanism or sleeping for that matter. Taking a nap can help with the fatigue sometimes or just calming your mind and body down. Food can be dangerous. Sometimes a good candy bar or piece of beef jerky can pucker us up. Don't put all your coping into food (don't put all your eggs in one basket) because it may become addicting and if your depression hits a lot, it can be very unhealthy. Your body will want specific foods when you feel depressed. I will never recommend alcohol as that is even more addicting. (Only drink when you're happy, its a good rule of thumb). 

What can you do for someone who is depressed?

First, never say to them to suck it up, or get over it. That is never helpful. Sometimes that person wants to disappear or take their own life and that's the last thing they need to hear. Furthermore, they're lonely and may feel unloved. They need to be loved. You don't have to talk to them. Just be there for them and with them. You may not be able to help them in the moment and that's ok! At least they don't have to fight it alone. Depression involved a lot of fighting and combating. Sometimes its combating your own feelings or your own mind.

In short, depression is hard. Its indescribable sometimes. Know however, you're not alone. Its one of those things you might think you're the only person in the world which has it but there are millions of people struggling along with you.

Feel free to comment or ask me any questions about it. You're in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...